Even though all my projects are in .NET Core now, I rarely get the opportunity to use Identity because of my work with our backend Legacy system. Recently, though, I built a very lightweight SEO Management system for one of our sites (that allows a 3rd party to tweak our page titles, meta tags, etc) and wanted to give them user access and roles.
The entire project can be found on GitHub, but below is just a running list of sites I used to get this done, noting all the troubleshooting and stupid little mistakes I did along the way.
Adding Identity to an Already Existing Project
This part was relatively easy and the Microsoft documents provided an easy enough guide. I believe I had some issues:
CS1902 C# Invalid option for /debug; must be full or pdbonly – with the Data Migrations because I didn’t have EntityFramework installed. Basically, all errors in this phase were not as presented – they were mostly because I was lacking packages to migrate.
To ensure I had all the right packages installed, i used: Microsoft.AspNetCore.App -Version 2.2.6
Also, in this area, I decided not to put the connection string in appsettings.json, opting …